Applying Early Decision
Early Decision is a binding application plan for students who view Carnegie Mellon as their first choice university. You’ll be notified of our admission decision early in your senior year.
Early Decision Deadline*
Due by: November 1
Notified by: December 15
Enroll by: February 1
*Early Decision is not available for Acting, Directing, Music and Technology or Music Theater. Early Decision applicants to the fine arts, who wish to be considered for a BXA program, should contact the Office of Admission.
Early Decision Instructions
Under Early Decision:
- If you’re admitted to Carnegie Mellon, we expect you to enroll.
- You can apply to only one college within the university.
- Three decisions can be given: admit, deny or defer to Regular Decision.
- You must agree to withdraw applications previously submitted to other institutions, in any country, when notified of Early Decision acceptance and financial aid granted at Carnegie Mellon.
- You are not able to compare financial aid packages between Carnegie Mellon and other universities you may have applied to.
- Not for applicants under the age of 17.
Note about November standardized tests for Early Decision applicants:
Students can take standardized testing in the month of November and still apply Early Decision. Please make sure you've indicated what future tests you're taking on the Common Application and rush report your scores. The Office of Admission will then wait until these scores are in before making an admission decision. December testing is too late for Early Decision consideration.
Be sure to review our Undergraduate Admission Requirements before applying to Carnegie Mellon.