International Student Admission Requirements
Please review our undergraduate admission requirements first. Then consider the following additional requirements or reminders for international students prior to applying:
- Deadlines are the same for international students as those posted for Early Decision, Regular Decision and transfer applicants.
- It’s important that the name used in your application, recommendations and test scores is identical to the name listed on your passport. This will eliminate any confusion in the processing of your application.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required if your native language is not English. Carnegie Mellon requires TOEFL scores of 102 or better on the internet-based TOEFL (as of Fall 2010) or an IELTS score of 7.5 and above. Carnegie Mellon carefully reviews the sub-scores of each of these exams and considers those candidates with reading, listening, speaking and writing sub-scores of 25 or more on TOEFL and 7.5 or more on IELTS to be candidates with high levels of English proficiency. Please arrange to have these scores sent no later than January 1st. Carnegie Mellon's TOEFL code is 2074.
- If your secondary school transcript or any other admission document is written in a language other than English, it should be accompanied by an official translation and verified by a counselor or school official to be true copies of the original.
- If you are preparing for the International Baccalaureate or the General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-level examinations, please send your expected exam results.
Carnegie Mellon only offers financial aid to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. International students are not eligible for fee waivers.