Carnegie Mellon University Undergraduate Admission

Please wait... the camera is being used.
- Carnegie Mellon University Undergraduate Admission

Choose Your Program. Change the World.

Choose Your Program. Change the World.

Transfer Admission

The Transfer Admission Process

Each year, Carnegie Mellon admits a small number of transfer students, where space permits. The policy for transferring does vary from college to college within Carnegie Mellon; please review this page carefully.

Transfer Deadlines

Application Plan

Application Deadline

Supporting Document Deadline

Admission Notification Date

Fall Transfer

Mar 1
(Dec 1 for Drama & Music, Jan 1 for Architecture, Art & Design)

Apr 1

Jun 15
(Apr 15 for CFA)

Spring Transfer

Oct 15

Nov 1

 Dec 15 or soon after

Transfer students will only be considered for one college or program within Carnegie Mellon.

Transferring By College


  • Fall transfer possible if space is available.
  • Spring transfer extremely limited and unlikely.
  • No external transfers are accepted into the BXA programs.

Architecture, Art, Design, Drama, Music:

  • Only fall transfer is available for fine arts applicants.
  • You’ll be considered alongside freshman applicants and are likely to be given first-year status.
  • No external transfers are accepted into the BXA programs.

Transfer Applicant Instructions

In addition to our admission requirements, please keep in mind the following:

  • Transfer applicants will only be considered for one college or program within Carnegie Mellon.

  • All supporting documents are due by April 1st for Fall Transfer (please note supporting document deadline of December 1 for Drama and Music Fall Transfers and January 1 for Architecture, Art and Design Fall Transfers) and November 1 for Spring Transfer.
  • Transfer applicants must submit a college transcript in addition to a high school transcript, and email a copy of course descriptions from a college catalog from each college/university you attended to with the subject line, “Transfer Course Descriptions.”
  • A recommendation from a professor or advisor should be submitted in place of a college counselor recommendation. The College Report (a Common Application form) is also required from your current academic institution. This form should be completed by your college/university registrar or appropriate dean/college official who can verify your enrollment and academic standing.
  • We require official SAT Reasoning Test, ACT with Writing, and SAT Subject Test results if you've previously taken these tests. If you haven't previously taken these tests, it's recommended, but not required that you take them as you apply as a transfer student. If English isn't your native language, the results of either the TOEFL or IELTS are required, even if you didn't take either one previously, and please note our TOEFL/IELTS score requirements.  
  • The college/school to which you are admitted will evaluate your courses for potential transfer credit.
  • If you are offered admission for the spring semester, we do not require a tuition deposit due to the short time between offered admission and the start of the spring semester.
  • University housing is not guaranteed for transfer students.

Click here to check on your Carnegie Mellon application status.

My Tags

    Carnegie Mellon University