Health Services

Carnegie Mellon’s Student Health Services offers students many of the services they find at their local doctor’s office. Students can also have lab work done and prescriptions filled. Counseling and Psychological Services provides students with an opportunity to talk about personal, academic or career concerns. Additional resources are available through Carnegie Mellon’s Equal Opportunity Services Office.

Safety Services

Student safety is a top priority at Carnegie Mellon. The university employs a police department whose staff of police officers and security guards patrol the campus 24 hours a day on foot, by car and by bicycle. The Carnegie Mellon University Police Department offers late-evening escort service to academic and residence buildings on- and off-campus, regular shuttle bus service to university apartments in the Oakland and Shadyside areas, campus emergency telephones, free program for registering personal property, safety tips and safety and security seminars. SafeWalk, a student volunteer escort service, is also available to those walking across campus late at night.


Annual Safety and Athletics Reports Available

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA), requires institutions of higher education that participate in federal financial aid programs to make available an annual security and fire safety report and an annual equity in athletics report. 
As required by law, Carnegie Mellon University’s security and fire safety report describes security, alcohol and drug, sexual assault and fire safety policies, and contains statistics on the number and type of crimes committed on campus and cause of fires in campus residence facilities during the preceding three years. You can obtain a copy by contacting the Carnegie Mellon Police Department at 412.268.6232 or by sending an email. The annual security and fire safety report is also available online at
The equity in athletics report contains information about Carnegie Mellon University’s intercollegiate athletics program, including data regarding sport sponsorship, student-athlete participation, and program revenues and expenses.  A printed copy of the university’s most recent report is available upon request by calling the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation at 412.268.8054 or by sending an email to the Director of Athletics. The information is also available online each November 1 at  Upon visiting the site, select “Get data for one institution” from the right side of the page, enter “Carnegie Mellon University” in the “Name of Institution” field, click the “Search” button at the bottom of the page, and select “Carnegie Mellon University” in the “Institution” column.