Admission Process Overview
All applicants who wish to be considered for any degree program within or associated with the School of Music must complete their Carnegie Mellon and School of Music applications by December 1 (Regular Decision). The School of Music doesn't accept applications under Early Decision.
- Submit the Common Application and all other required application materials to the Office of Admission after August 15.
- Submit the School of Music application by December 1and pay the $50.00 audition or portfolio review fee. If your program requires a portfolio, submit it by January 4.
- Review and follow the instructions and requirements for your specific program choice. If you're applying to our Electronic Music program, you must apply to the BFA in Composition on the Common Application. For more information, visit the School of Music's website.
- Applicants are notified of their audition or portfolio review results in writing only after all auditions and reviews are finished. Results will be released no later than April 1. If the audition result is favorable, the School of Music will recommend acceptance to the Office of Admission, and the Office of Admission will determine if the student's academic records meet the standards of Carnegie Mellon. If the audition result is not favorable, the applicant won't be admitted to the School of Music, but could be admitted to Carnegie Mellon through an existing application to another program or major.
- Please visit the School of Music Undergraduate Admission webpage for further information.