Carnegie Mellon follows a need-blind admission policy. We don’t admit students based on their family’s ability to pay for their education. Applying for financial aid will have no effect on your chances for admission. It may have an effect, however, on which students we’re able to admit from the waiting list.

It’s important to note that not everyone who applies for financial assistance receives an award, or package, from Carnegie Mellon. We first determine if you’re eligible for financial assistance — both from the federal and state governments and from Carnegie Mellon.

Carnegie Mellon only offers financial aid to U.S. citizens, permanent residents and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students. If you're an international student who plans to enroll at Carnegie Mellon, you and your family must assume the total cost of attendance. Review our International Student Cost & Payment web page for further information.

Our Financial Aid Assistance Guide provides a detailed overview of the financial aid process, from how eligibility is determined, to the types of financial aid Carnegie Mellon offers. 

For information on veteran education benefits, please visit the university's Veterans & Military Community website.

Prior Prior Year/Early FAFSA Notice

A federal government decision will require students and families completing a FAFSA to use tax information from two years prior to the academic year, as opposed to one year prior. This shift, commonly referred to as Prior-Prior Year (PPY) or Early FAFSA, has also been adopted by the College Board for those completing the CSS PROFILE.

Why is this a positive change?
Using tax information from two years prior to the academic year ensures that most families will have filed taxes before applying for financial aid. Families will be able to use actual tax information, rather than estimated, when completing the FAFSA and CSS PROFILE. Families have the ability to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) when completing the FAFSA, which allows for automatic transfer of tax information to a student’s FAFSA.

What Carnegie Mellon applicants can expect:
Students applying for financial aid in the 2018-2019 academic year:

•    May submit a FAFSA earlier. Students will be able to file a 2018-2019 FAFSA as early as Oct. 1, 2017. Completion of the FAFSA will also be simplified for families who use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT).
•    Are required to use earlier tax information. When completing a 2018-2019 FAFSA and CSS PROFILE, students will report tax information from the 2016 tax year.

Requested Documents when Applying for Financial Aid

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for all financial aid applicants in order to receive consideration for federal financial aid. There is no charge for filing this form. Carnegie Mellon's institutional code is 003242. Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students are not required to submit the FAFSA.


The CSS PROFILE is required for all financial aid applicants in order to receive consideration for Carnegie Mellon institutional financial aid. Carnegie Mellon's institutional code is 2074.

Tax Documents

We require that tax documents be submitted via the College Board IDOC form submission service. Tax documents that Carnegie Mellon requires for institutional financial aid applicants includes parental and student 1040s, W-2s, and all related schedules.

Financial Aid Attestations

Complete the attestations on our Where Am I in the Process website by clicking on “Financial Aid Notification,” reading the statements and clicking “I understand and I agree.” This attestations prompt appears only after we have received your CSS PROFILE. Attestations can only be completed once and should be done by the student. Once you complete the attestations, you’ll see a message stating that your financial aid application is still being processed.

Details on How to Apply for Financial Aid