Once known as the Steel City, these days Pittsburgh is best known for a new top export: innovation.
Pittsburgh is an internationally recognized city, known as well for its research and industry, world-class medical facilities and corporate headquarters as for its cultural community, dynamic food scene and professional sports teams. Keep reading to find out why so Pittsburgh is a great playground for student life:
- Pittsburgh was named one of seven U.S. cities on Travel + Leisure’s international survey of the best places to visit in 2016!
- Pittsburgh was the only US city to make the 2019 National Geographic Cool List.
- Still think Pittsburgh is an old steel town? Check out all the “Pittsburgh Firsts” to see what else began in the City of Champions other than the cable suspension bridge (1846) and the emoticon (1982).
Sports and Fitness
- WalletHub ranked Pittsburgh as the 25th best city for an active lifestyle.
- Up for a little baseball? Our very own PNC Park was named the 2nd best ballpark in America by Baseball America.
- Is it because we put french fries on top of everything? Catching critics by surprise, Pittsburgh was ranked as the best food city in 2015 by Zagat.
- Setting a new standard for budding entrepreneurs, Pittsburgh is home to the new future of tech and startup cultures in the United States. Take that, Silicon Valley!
- Of course we’re a top city for techies! Pittsburgh is ranked 8th as a top city techies should consider moving to in 2016. Carnegie Mellon is credited with many of Pittsburgh's technology successes.
- Amidst widespread revitalization and development, Downtown Pittsburgh has grown to be one of the hottest real estate markets on the east coast.
- Pittsburgh earned the #1 ranking on the Top Cities for Jobs list from Glassdoor.
- Pittsburgh was ranked #2 on the list of 25 best cities for people under 35 from CNBC.
- The local neighborhoods of East Liberty & Lawrenceville were listed as the #1 coolest Neighborhoods in America by Times Travel.
Clearly there’s only one solution—come visit Pittsburgh and see what everyone’s talking about! If you’re interested in learning more about why we’re so passionate about our city and our city’s culture, you can find more national rankings here.